Sunday, February 26, 2023

Meet Calamity Jane

In the past I have made a doll for each of my sisters.  I have one brother but didn't know if he would want a doll that I made.  When I asked him he said, "Of course!"   He told me that he always liked the 1953 version of Calamity Jane staring Doris Day.    After explaining to him that I'm not a portrait artist, I agreed to make him Calamity Jane.   He provided me with a photo and I took it from there.   I made everything on this doll except the mini gun.   Calamity Jane's head and hands are hand sculpted polymer clay and her body is cloth.  Her hair is mohair.  I used suede for her buckskin outfit.  For the gun belt, holster and boots I waxed the suede to make it look more like leather.  If you look closely you can see "bullets" in her gun belt.   I truly had fun creating this doll for my brother.   






 

No comments:

Post a Comment