Saturday, June 2, 2018

Introducing Maia

Maia is my first full body sculpt in paper clay.   She is 14 1/2 inches from the base to the top of her headress.  Instead of a traditional costume Maia is wearing a more architectural style gown.  The volume of her skirt balances her unusal pose.  Her delicate hands and face are complimented by the intricate beading on her gown and in her jewelry.   The face is hand painted with acrylic paint.   I enjoyed creating her and hope she brings you joy when you look at her. 

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Fabrics selected for new sculpture

I've been busy working on a costume design concept and selecting fabrics and embellishments for my new sculpture.   I've selected some silk fabrics that I think will work well with the design concept.  I wanted to create a costume that was more sculptural and less drapey.   Now, it's time to create the pattern.   The costume has to be constructed from the inside layer to outside layer.   Because a clay sculpt doesn't bend there are challenges on how to get the costume on the doll and still retain the design concept.    Here's a picture of the fabrics and embellishments that are my starting point.   As any artist knows, as you get into the process, things are added and deleted, but here is my starting point. 

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Time to create a costume for another sculpture

In April 2017 at AFICC, I took a paper clay sculpting class with Kathryn Wamsley.  It was a full body sculpt and we could sculpt anything we wanted to try.   I wanted to do a figure for which I could create an interesting costume.   I wanted it to have an unusual pose.   I've been working on it off and on throughout the past year and am now down to the place that I can design a costume for the figure. 
The head and hands are not yet attached so that it will be easier to put the costume on the figure.   So here are pictures of the figure.   Now to get out the sketch pad and start designing....


Saturday, April 14, 2018

Aubrey makes her long awaited debut

Aubrey has been a long time in the making.   I took an on-line class with Deb Wood and completed the sculpture in early 2016.  I was so proud of her detailed body that I couldn't decide what kind of costume would be best for her and still show off her curves.   So the poor girl stayed in a box for 2 years without hair or clothes.   I finally decided that she should have red hair.   I created an organza gown that had strategically placed beads.  I knew that she was a free spirit so she stayed barefoot and I posed her on a rock.  Here are her debut  photos and some of the in process pictures.   WARNING some photos are pictures of her in the nude. 

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Busy, Busy, Busy.....

I am busy as a bee working on new items for the Indy Cloth Dollmakers Show and Sale.   As usual, I will have an assortment of wearable art garments, dolls, and accessories for sale.  All items are one of a kind.  I "up-cycle" vintage fur in many of my pieces.   I thought I would post a few pictures that might pique your curiosity.   Some of the pictures are partial photos of completed garments and others are just the materials that will be used in garments that are in process.  More to come.....
Rich golden plaid fur and tapestry

It's a flock of Butterflies!!

Rust/Brown Tweed with Applique and fur

Gray and Black Plaid with Gray Mink
Appliqued Persian Lamb
Lush Burgundy Leather and Mohair Curly Fur
Gorgeous Fall Tapestry

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

15th Annual Show and Sale

Its that time of year again.   I'm busy creating new items for the Indy Cloth Dollmakers 15th Annual Show and Sale.   Soon I'll be posting some pictures of some of my new creations. 

For now, here's the info about the show and sale.  Two other organizations will also be having their holiday sales on the same day.   Make plans to come to Irvington and enjoy shopping at our show and eating at the local restaurants. 

Monday, June 12, 2017

2017 AFICC ( Artistic Figures in Cloth and Clay)

Sorry it has taken so long to post to my blog.  We sold our home and moved to a smaller place in January so some things just didn't get done as soon as I would have liked.   However, things are returning to some state of normalcy so I should be able to post more now.  

The first activity after our move was to get a doll ready for the 2017 AFICC Convention which was held at the end of April in Columbus, Ohio.  The challenge this year was based on the poem "Monday's Child".   We were to choose a day of the week and make a doll that represented that day.   I chose "Thursday's Child Has Far to Go".    As a child and teen, I rode my bicycle everywhere and since I have many memories surrounding that activity, I chose to put my doll on a bicycle.   I found a bicycle that was painted all gold and repainted it to look less like a home d├ęcor piece and more like a real bicycle.   I chose bright happy colors because I wanted the doll to reflect my happy memories.   Of course, I never had flowers in my basket or gift boxes on the back but it sure makes me happy to look at it. 

She is an original cloth doll with a needle sculpted face that has been hand painted.  This is the first time I have tried to needle sculpt and paint an open mouth smile on a doll, but I'm happy with the result.  I made the hat from 1/4 inch narrow straw braid and then added flowers for interest.  

I was honored to win 2nd place from the judges in the Original Category and People's Choice over all.  I named her "Joy's Journey".    I hope you all enjoy her too.