Katie's Dolls

Katie's Dolls

Saturday, February 20, 2016

2015 November Show and Sale Challenge Doll

Leather and Lace:  Rhapsody on the Runway


The 2015 Indy Cloth Dollmakers challenge was to include leather and lace in the design of the doll.  Back in the late 80's, I made a coat and dress for a dear friend that included leather and lace.   Recently she gave it back to me because it no longer fit. (After almost 30 yrs. things shift and we're just different!)   I got a little nostalgic and decided to recreate that outfit on a doll.  I used the same fabric for the coat and skirt for the doll as I used in the life size version.   I had to use different lace and trims to keep the scale appropriate to the doll.   
I called her Rhapsody on the Runway because she is posed like she is modeling the outfit in a fashion show. The skirt on the doll is real suede and the coat is silk that has purple, black and metallic threads.   The bodice of the dress and the yoke of the coat is purple taffeta that has been covered with lace and then embroidered with beads and sequins.   Tiny gold trim outlines the yoke, lining, and bodice waistline.  I made the slip-on sandals to complete her outfit. She even has black seamed nylons.  If you look closely you will see that Rhapsody has dyed part of her hair purple to match her outfit.  She is an original cloth doll that has a needle sculpted face that I painted with acrylic paints.  

Rhapsody has provided me with lots of memories of times gone by and I hope you enjoy her too. 

Inspiration Swing Coat
Inspiration from the 80's





















Rhapsody on the Runway
 

   
Dress under the coat

No comments:

Post a Comment