Katie's Dolls

Katie's Dolls

Monday, August 23, 2010

Cindee Moyer Doll Workshop


On Sunday, a group of the Indy Cloth Dollmakers traveled to Cincinnati for Cindee Moyer's doll workshop, Weighing the Possibilities. Prior to the workshop we all created a new "fabric" using various widths of multiple fabrics that would be used as the doll's "dress". At the workshop, Cindee taught us how to cover the head with fabric stiffener and then glue crinkle gauze over the head to create an interesting canvas for the face. Although no one completed their doll at the workshop we were all far enough along that we can finish at home. This is the fabric that I created. I will post a picture of the completed doll when I am finished.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pictures of Sachet Dolls

I finished 7 scented sachet dolls. I have posted a slide show on the blog that shows the completed sachet dolls and my other dolls. Enjoy!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Sachet Dolls

I have been very busy the last 3 days making sachet dolls. I painted 9 faces. In order to get the faces to print clearly I had to spend a lot of time enhancing the scanned images in the computer. They are now saved in my computer so that I can print them when I need them. Remember when I said something about "mass production"? Well, there isn't anything "speedy" about these little dolls. It is taking me about 3 hours per doll to assemble them. Finding just the right trims and beads for hair and accessories takes time. Each doll has a distinct personality so I'm going to give each one a special name. I've made 6 dolls so far and each one becomes my favorite as I finish her. They are soooo cute!!! I'll take pictures tomorrow when I have some good lighting.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sachet Doll prototype

Today I finished the prototype for my sachet dolls. I hand painted faces on cloth then scanned them into my computer so that I could print them on fabric. The copies aren't as detailed as the originals so the next time I may exaggerate the shading and contrast so that the photo copies have more detail. This will allow me to somewhat "mass produce" these little dolls. After the face is printed on cloth I cut it out and wrap it over a covered button form. Attaching the hair is giving me the "fits" since there isn't much to attach it to. I'm sure that I'll figure out an easy way to do the hair on about the 10th doll........oh..well, doll number 11 will be a breeze!!

The dolls are about 8" tall with a loop so that you can hang it in your closet, car or just put it in a drawer. I made my own scented filler so that I can have different scents available. I still need to figure out a clever way to package them so that you can still see them but the scent is sealed in the package. I plan to make about 10 different faces each with her own personality.

Monday, August 9, 2010

The website link should now work. My website features a gallery of my creations. I probably won't do a lot more to the website this week because I need to focus my energy on making new dolls for the art fair on Aug 21st. I'm going to try to make sachet dolls that can be placed in a drawer, closet or car. Working on prototype now. Wish me luck

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Website development--Day 2


Well, after I previewed my website I decided that I didn't like the URL that was assigned so I have changed the servers to point at my registered domain name. Proved to be pretty simple but I now have to wait 24 - 48 hours for the change to take affect. I took a few more pictures of my cloth marrottes and I think they are pretty cute. They look like such friends...see for yourself!!